Saturday 1 February 2014

My favorite pair of Genes ;) - Part Two

 
You all have them... 
that favorite pair of jeans that always seem to fit perfectly, and look great on.
 
My favorite Jeans.. or rather Genes,
 are the ones I got from my parents.
 
 
 
+
=
 
People have questioned me in the past if all I eat is salad and health food..
and I have to laugh..
 because that is so far from my reality...


I am blessed with a fantastic metabolism
and was raised by very active parents.


My mother goes on daily walks and is an active volleyball player,
and my father is a dedicated cyclist,
and mildly obsessed with lifting weights.


Growing up, my parents always had us playing sports and keeping active.
 
But there was a time where I took my genetics for granted.


Prior to turning 21, I had never been to a gym.


All of a sudden, I noticed a big change in my body.
I went to see my doctor,
and turns out I had an underactive thyroid.


At my peak weight, I was 22 pounds heavier than I am today...
and of course,
it was around the time of a best friends wedding.


After seeing her wedding pictures,
 I was determined to kick my thyroid problem.


I tried dieting - but was grumpy and hated every second of restricting myself from certain foods.


I had no choice but to start working out
to get my body back into a shape.


25 minutes at the gym, 5 days a week over the course of 3 years is what it took for me. I didn't change my diet what so ever.
*On a future blog, I will give my tips on how to get yourself in a routine and outline my 25 minutes*


A year after my own wedding,
I lost my final 12 pounds.
My thyroid problem was kicked,
and my old body came back to life.


I continue to workout more now than ever before, without limiting myself from any food or drink.


Gaining that weight 4 years ago due to my thyroid,  was the reality check I needed in order to appreciate how lucky I am to be able to eat whatever I'd like,
but also,to realize how important it is to have  some physical activity in your life even if you are blessed with good genes!





No comments:

Post a Comment